Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Finds: Laurel Hill Crochet Hooks


Today's Friday Find will be focusing on Laurel Hill Crochet Hooks.These hooks are crafted of fine hardwoods "available in sustainable, exotic woods of Ebony, Nam Oc and Trai" according to the website. They are available in sets or can also be purchased separately. A lady in my crochet group had brought along her new set one evening and we all admired them. She let me try them out and I was "hooked" and decided to jump in and purchase a whole set.  Sizes include: D, E, F, G, 7, H, I, J, K, L, and M. They are extremely smooth and silky with no annoying burrs that snag yarn. My set are Nam Oc and arrived in the lovely green and blue hook holder pictured below.







Another thing I like about these hooks is that the end of the handle doesn't jab into my palm as happens with some aluminum hooks when I work with them. Perhaps it's the placement of the thumb notch which corrects this. The thumb notch makes the hooks comfortable to use for extended periods of time and I find it helps me to keep a consistent gauge. 





I usually like longer hooks than the 6 inches that these are (mostly because of the annoying palm jabbing that I mentioned) but I like that this set takes up less space in my project bag. I also tend to worry less about them than my other longer wood hooks. I don't worry as much that somehow I'm going to snap them in half accidently as they are made of very hard wood. Truly made to be a workhorse of a tool.

I do like these hooks very much, I just wish they had the larger sizes too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment