Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Week 17: Celebrate the First Day Of Summer

Week 17: Celebrate the first day of summer (June 21, 2014) by crocheting a beach or summer fun project.

When I think of summer, I think of flip flops. There's nothing like the "twack, twack", sound and the effortlessness of getting them on and off. Tuck a pair into a beach bag with a swimsuit and towel and you're good to go. I've seen flip flop sock patterns but I decided to make my own. They are a fun and colorful companion for my favorite flip flops and feel great on my feet.





Instead of creating a pattern, I will share a basic tutorial so you can make a pair for yourself. See the end of the tutorial for special stitch instructions and a list of abbreviations. I used EZC Nautika yarn (85% microfiber acrylic/15% nylon) in turquoise for the main color. The orange and yellow are Frog Tree Pediboo Sock Yarn. I used a size D (3.25 mm) crochet hook, but use whichever size is necessary for your sock yarn.

Measure the circumference of the width of your foot, then subtract 1 inch to allow for stretching. This is length you will make your foundation double crochet (dc) row. Begin the sock at the toe edge.

Foundation dc row: With main color yarn, ch 3, and yarn over (yo). Insert your hook into the 3rd ch from your hook and pull up a loop. [Pay attention to this 1st loop, you may wish to mark it because you will be working the next stitch into it.] Yo, and draw through 2 loops, twice, to complete the dc stitch. Dc into the 1st loop of the previous stitch to create the next dc stitch. Work in this manner, making as many stitches as necessary until the unstretched row measures the length you need. Join with a sl st into the beg dc, taking care to not twist the row.

Esc rounds: Ch 1 and work extended single crochet (esc) sts in each st around. Do not join at the end of each round,. Work continuously in a spiral until the sock measures 2 1/2 inches, then join with a sl st. Fasten off main color yarn.

Attach color B (orange in my case) with a sl st in any esc and ch 3. Dc in the next esc and in each esc around. Join in beg dc and fasten off color B.

Attach color C (I used yellow) with a sl around the post of any dc of the previous round. Ch 3, work a front post dc around each dc of the previous round. Fasten off color C.

Finishing: Using the beg length of yarn, sew the bottom of the foundation row closed . Place the socks on your feet, with the foundation row closest to your toes, to determine where you would like the toe strap to be. To make the toe strap: use main color yarn and attach with a sl st to the foundation row. Ch 20, skip 6 chs (for buttonhole) and sl st in the remaining 14 chs. [My buttons are 3/4 inch, but you may need to adjust the number of chains depending on your yarn and button size.] Sl st in the beg esc st and fasten off.

Sew buttons to the tops of your socks that align with the toe loops. Fasten off and weave in all ends.

Enjoy your flip flop socks!

Additional information:
Special stitch:
Extended single crochet (esc): insert hook into the st and pull up a loop. Yo, and draw through 1 loop on hook. You will have 2 loops on your hook. Yo, draw through 2 loops to complete the esc stitch.

Abbreviations:
beg - beginning, ch(s) - chains, dc - double crochet, esc - extended single crochet, sl st - slip stitch, st(s) - stitch(es)




Thanks for joining me for week 17 of the 52 Week Crochet Challenge!
It's never too late to join in the fun and there's no need to catch up, just jump right in:


52 Week Crochet Challenge
Ravelry Group - 148 members and growing

4 comments:

  1. Cute :-) I don't wear flip flops so I didn't know there were such things as flip flop socks. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these. I live in Alabama where flip flops are de rigueur in the summer time, so these will come in handy. I bought some a few years ago, but never thought of making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, could I use worsted weight?? Maybe cotton. I love your pattern, creativity and would like to make these flip flops. I have TONS of yarn and really don't want to buy anymore right now. What do you think?? Thank you very much, Red Berry!

    ReplyDelete