Monday, July 7, 2008

Busy Bee and Ladybug - Catch the Reading Bug, Felted Crochet

It all started with an idea from my boss at the library where I work. She suggested I should make something as prizes for our summer reading program. The theme this year is “Catch the Reading Bug” so what better something to make than a bug? I started with the ladybug and I was really happy that it turned out so well. It is crocheted in one piece and then felted, and the spots and wing line are hand needle felted.





Then I got the idea of making a bee. I had checked out a few picture books with awesome illustrations for inspiration.


Bug Safari, by Bob Barner





My first bee didn’t turn out so well, I just couldn’t get the wings right. My husband commented that it looked like an airplane! So, back to the drawing board, and my next idea turned out much better, and "bee" like.

The bee and wings are crocheted separately, attached, then felted. The eyes are hand needle felted and the antennae is made from stiffened yarn. It took me awhile to figure out what size pin back to use on both these pins. Sometimes what you think is going to be simple turns out to be much more complicated. I was hoping to have these listed much sooner, but it’s been a very busy couple of weeks. But finally, here they are all finished! And I couldn’t “bee” happier with the way they turned out. I also plan on the selling the patterns for these cuties in my shop.




4 comments:

  1. I learn something new about my fellow hookers every time I read a blog! I did not know you worked in a library; I am so jealous.

    I love looking at picture books for inspiration as well! Thanks for sharing a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both so cute and wonderful prizes! You are so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete